Monday, August 13, 2012

Random Thoughts

Just a few random thoughts today.....I'm in the process of fighting a sinus infection and have a pounding headache.

I think I've mentioned before about our garden, and how the kids love to help with planting & picking things. Well although we've had very little rain this season and some insanely hot temperatures, our little garden has been thriving. The kids helped with picking things last night....it was somewhat comical. Taz & our youngest son worked on picking green peppers and jalapeno peppers, while the rest of us picked squash and zucchini. Then they all helped with picking green beans. We ended up with 2 very HUGE baskets full of beans. To keep the kids focused and working, we had a contest to see who could find the largest bean (we had some HUGE beans and the plants were loaded even though we just picked stuff a few days ago). The winning bean ended up being almost 8 inches long and as big around as my pinkie finger! The kids thought it was so cool....and I had to laugh as I watched them work. Hard to believe just a few years ago, Taz had such a horrible gag reflex -- yet here he was, picking stuff like someone that had lived on a farm his entire life!

It's hard to believe how much all of the kids have grown this past year....not just the physical growth spurts & changes, but also how much they have matured and changed emotionally. Although they have their moments, for the most part they are great kids....helpful, polite, etc. We've tried to raise them the same way we were raised....and teach them to have the same type of morals, beliefs, etc that we were raised with. I must say, one day there will be some very lucky girls -- if they are fortunate enough to date & marry our boys! Of course I will be a very picky mom, and any girl that shows interest in one of our boys will have to meet my standards and approval first!

Another random thought.....for years I've had back & neck issues. Partly due to numerous injuries over the years but also partly due to having that spine condition (I forget the name of it) where your spine curves. One thing I've learned over the years is that chiropractic stuff does help.....another thing I've learned in regards to Autism, is that sometimes chiropractic stuff does help with that as well along with the whole "pressure point" thing. I used to visit the chiropractor a lot but it got to the point where it became too expensive because I would have to go 2-3 times a week.....thus my old chiro doctor showed me how to "crack" my own back & neck. I've shown hubby how to do it the way the chiropractor doctor did, so now he's able to crack my back for me. Seems like I have to ask hubby to crack my back at least several times a week.

Anyhow, today Taz mentioned that his back hurt and asked me to crack it. Now in the past I've done this a few times because I had heard that it can help some Autistic kids, especially if they have ADHD (like Taz does). But usually he wasn't as willing to have me do it....and he has NEVER flat out asked me to do it. So his request today came as a bit of a surprise. But I just figured that if he was actually requesting a back crack (as we call it), then perhaps he did have a few vertebra out of line. I had him lay on the floor and he kept very still (another first for him)....after a few tries, there were one or two little "pops".....I said "there, all done" and he got up and stretched and said "thanks mom, that feels better". Needless to say, the whole thing surprised me a bit....like I said, partly because he actually requested that I crack his back, and secondly due to the fact that he held still for the process. Perhaps this is another mini milestone?

My last random thought.....I read an article recently, I forget where...but they mentioned in the article that some parents of AI kids give them one cup of coffee a day to help with their focus and ADHD issues. Apparently the caffeine in coffee works similar to what some of the drugs like Ritalin do, and have a calming effect on the kids rather than jack them up into hyper mode like some of the sodas and other energy drinks that have lots of sugar and caffeine in them. Well this morning, as I poured myself a cup of coffee -- Taz came wandering through the kitchen and said "I'm dragging today, I didn't sleep a wink!" Of course I laughed a little because I knew that wasn't true....he went to bed before his brothers did, and he slept better (and longer) than either hubby or I did. So jokingly, I said "well have a cup of coffee -- I'm drinking some to help me wake up."

Heck, he's 13....a little coffee won't hurt, right? Now he's never had coffee.....and of course said "I don't like coffee" to which I responded "you've never tried it, so how do you know if you like it or not?" I poured what would equal about 2 tablespoons into a small coffee cup and told him if he wanted to try it, he could. I even added some cold water to the cup so it wouldn't be too hot. Well he tried a few sips and said "I don't like it hot, maybe if it were colder." I told him that it was ok, he didn't have to drink any more....at least he had given it a try. Well I'm not sure if it's some weird fluke or what, but he has been fairly calm and more focused all day.....hmmm, perhaps there is something to this whole "give them a cup of coffee" thing after all? I'll have to try to locate that article again and do a little more research.

Ok that's all I've got for today.....youngest son is down for a nap, and the other boys said if I wanted to try to nap then they'd promise to be good....so I think I'll try stretching out on the couch and relaxing for a little while. Of course son #2 is mature & responsible enough, I know he'll keep an eye on the other younger brother and Taz.....so I trust them more now to behave. Have a great day blog peeps! 

UPDATE:  Well, the nap was a wash.....as much as I tried, and as good & quiet as the other boys were, I just couldn't fall asleep....must be that "mom radar" thing again....(my mom radar is if the kids are awake, then I'm awake no matter what). Oh well, I tried.....instead of sleeping, I just "rested" (translation: stretched out on the couch with my eyes closed and tried to relax). My head is still pounding and I am beyond stuffed up....stupid sinus infection!

No comments:

Post a Comment