Monday, December 3, 2012

I'm Back

Wow, has it really been THAT long since my last blog post?! Sorry about that folks...as I mentioned the last time, things have been hella busy around here. I guess in the chaos of life, the blog has sort of taken a "back seat" on my list of priorities.....just not enough hours in the day....but I'll try to do better, I promise.

Ok, now to catch up a bit.....Taz started attending the new school in late November. Aside from a few "adjustment" issues, things have gone well thus far (keeping my fingers crossed as I type that so I don't jinx things). His aide, Miss "A" was there for the first week to help with the transition, and now Taz has a new aide....a male....can't remember his name at the moment, but they seem to work well together from what I've been told. The ASD classroom teacher is AWESOME....I can not even describe how much I just LOVE that woman thus far. Yes I said "thus far" cause you never know....she may do something to annoy me between now & the next time I post....but for now, I just adore her.

She called one day just to let me know that Taz was a bit on edge but in her words they were "dealing with it".....he made it through the day and rode the bus home without issues. I'll admit, it was strange having someone call just to give me a head's up, yet not begging or demanding that I come pick him up.....very odd experience indeed. From the reports I've received thus far, Taz is adjusting to everything well and has been doing all of his work....and he really enjoyed their first "swim day" & time in the pool. I guess my only "complaint" would be -- there isn't a huge amount of communication.

At his previous school, Miss "A" had a one-page form/report sheet that she'd send home with Taz every day.....there was a spot for each class hour and a comment line, thus she'd tell me via the form how his day went and if there were any issues, any homework assignments, etc. In many was I miss that form and level of communication. Taz's current teacher has a small pocket sized journal that she writes in, but the level of information that is in it isn't much.....thus in some ways I feel as though there isn't enough communication. But, I guess in some ways that is good -- if he's had a good day and did all of his work, then just the simple comment of "good day" written on the page is enough right?

There are so many things that I'll have to adjust to......like actually having some "me" time during the day, and time to get housework and errands done without having to worry about the phone ringing off the hook! A week or so ago I actually took a NAP during the day....gasp, yes I know it's true! Of course I hadn't gotten much sleep that week because things had been so crazy busy, thus on that day I really needed a nap.....and it was so nice to actually sleep for an hour.

Oh also, not sure if I mentioned it or not....we had our first visit with the new shrink doc. She said that for now we'll hold off going the medication route, so that's another positive thing. She felt that Taz's issues were a combination of puberty hormones and the fact that his former school acted like jerks whenever an issue would occur. Due to this new program/class that Taz is in, and now having a shrink doc....we also have a "case worker" person as part of our team as well. This is yet another new adjustment thing for me....we've never had a case worker before. Apparently she's observed Taz in his new classroom a few times thus far, and she'll be coming here tomorrow for a "home visit". Yikes....I really hate having people I don't really know that well in my house.....just makes me feel uncomfortable. Things were so busy this weekend, and the house looks like hell....so the rest of my day will be spent in "power clean" mode.

Anyhow, just wanted to update things and let you all know that I'm still alive and kicking. Will try to post on a regular basis more often.....

No comments:

Post a Comment