Monday, October 1, 2012

Explaining Autism

Hello blog peeps, sorry I've been a bit MIA....as always, I've had too much to do and not enough hours in the day to do it all. I'm the type of person who feels that I have to take on the world -- have a million things to do at the same time -- and always have a hard time saying "no" to adding something else to my shoulders, especially when my plate is already full enough. Not sure if it's a "mom" thing or if it's just my personality type -- but at times I feel like the only way that I can actually be productive and accomplish things is if I really DO have too much on my plate. Now with that said.....here's some big news (well at least it's "big" to me):

Holy cow....I was just asked to give a presentation on Autism/Aspergers! I'll actually be 1 of 2 people doing this (it will be an education professional and myself), speaking to a group of middle school age kids. The EP will address things from an educational standpoint, with all of the "medical term" stuff, etc....my part is to discuss our experience and explain things from a personal view, basically a "see Autism through my eyes" type of thing. Then together we will provide various role play social story type scenarios. Similar to the "say no to drugs" type of stuff and other issues that all teens deal with.

The goal is to help educate "normal" teens on how to be more accepting, understanding, etc of their AI peers and to help teach them how to assist their AI peers in developing the proper social skills. You know, the whole "lead by example" concept. The EP wants me to speak from the heart and cover what I feel these kids should know -- of course I want to make sure I cover everything possible! Seriously, I've only got 1 shot at this -- so I don't want to screw up or forget something important. Especially since the teen years are the hardest -- and kids this age can be so cruel to other kids who are "different".

 Now those of you who know me, and/or who have at least read all of my blog posts....you know that I've gone in and spoken to our son's class each year since he entered the public school system. The whole reason I did that was to help teach the "normal" kids about Autism, and help them to understand that it's ok if someone is a little different.....my goal was that if I could make them understand that, understand what Autism is and who Taz is, then they'd be more accepting of him. Thus I have gone in and spoken to the class year after year.....right up until the year Taz entered middle school. I begged the administration to allow me to do a presentation for the middle school kids, but had always been told "oh no that's not possible, we can't do something like that in middle school" -- my response was always "why not?" -- ok I understand that there are numerous classes each hour, but couldn't they just have a mini assembly or something? Would it really be that difficult to do?

Anyhow, I've done these presentations year after year....I've even given presentations to other Elementary age classrooms....classrooms that didn't even have one of my kids in it! Over the years other teachers have heard about the presentations and have approached me, asking if I'd come in and speak to their students -- I always did. I figured if I could help some other kids to be accepting and understanding of the AI students in their classroom, then in some way it would help and make a difference. Thus in the past I've given this presentation to kids from age 6 to 10 years old. But this is the first time speaking to teens! YIKES!! We all know that most teens these days act like complete a**holes....they think they know everything, they have major attitudes, and think it's funny to bully people who are "different" -- so exactly what will I say that will sink in? What can I say that will change their minds and make them look at AI students in a different way? How can I help them to stop acting like a**holes?

In some ways it annoys me, because I've asked for the past few years to do something like this (ever since Taz entered middle school) but have always been told "oh no that's not possible" -- yet now here I am, being asked to do it! (insert scream here) Instead of me begging the administration -- here they are, approaching me and asking me to do it.....the EP I spoke to today practically begged me to agree to do this. So what the hell happened to change things? Why all of a sudden have the "powers that be" had a change of heart? Could someone pinch me? Cause I feel like I'm dreaming right now. Is this really happening? Am I finally getting what I've been wishing for and begging them to allow me to do for so long?

I know I can do this, yet I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment....doubting how effective I'll be. I really don't want to screw this up -- I want the things I say and the material I present to have a REAL impact on the kids. I have a million things running through my mind right now....oh where to begin?! Oh yeah, I've also been asked to be a part of a parent group and give the presentation at one of the parent meetings. The goal with that is the person in charge wants me to help educate the general education parents as well as be a "mentor" for AI parents just beginning this journey. Apparently the "powers that be" have finally come to realize that kids act the way they do partly because of the parents -- thus if we can educate them and change their attitudes/views then we can do the same for the teens. And of course since I really want to help make a difference -- and hope that by doing this, it will make life at middle school easier for Taz -- I said yes. As if my plate wasn't full enough....hey life, feel free to pile on a little more! Let's hope that I don't burn myself out in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment