Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Olympics

I have to confess, part of the reason why I've been lazy when it comes to blogging something new is partly due to the Olympics.....yes it's true, although it's been a busy hectic summer, I've spent the past week or so watching the Olympics and being slightly lazy.

I love the Olympics.....my favorites from the summer games are probably the gymnastics, swimming, and volleyball. In regards to the winter games, it's probably a tie between anything to do with skiing & the bobsled stuff....also speed skating and figure skating. When I was a kid I wanted to be a gymnast or a figure skater.

Anyhow, back to my love of watching the Olympics....the one "complaint" I have aside from some of the stuff that the TV station has chosen not to show & the fact that it seems like there are spoilers EVERYWHERE....my other complaint is the fact that it seems like the camera people have managed to catch some athletes in somewhat embarrassing moments. Like a few nights ago, the camera person was showing one of the synchronized diver guys and while they had the camera on the athlete, he was "adjusting" himself. No he wasn't digging inside of his suit and being obvious about it, but you could tell that he was definitely trying to adjust the crown jewels. I just sat there thinking: "seriously, move the camera to just get a face & upper body shot, give the dude some privacy". I was surprised that the camera person just kept right on filming.

Then tonight, while watching the track & field stuff, they had the camera on one athlete and you could tell the woman was trying to adjust a wedgie....it made me laugh. The same thing happened during the men's team volleyball game a few nights ago.....one guy was trying to fix a wedgie, and the camera seemed to stay focused on him rather than filming someone else. I kind of felt bad for the athletes. Obviously they can't have one moment of privacy. OK, enough about that....just had to vent a little.

How awesome was it that the girl from the U.S. gymnastics team won a medal after her coach filed that inquiry?! When I saw Bella in the stands motioning and yelling stuff to her coach I thought "yeah you tell them Bella" -- IMHO he was the BEST coach ever for women's gymnastics. I just love that man!! While I'm discussing gymnastics, what is up with the girls on the Russian team? Why do they always look like they are going to burst into tears at any moment and/or look like they are totally ticked off? OK no offense meant towards anyone from Russia.....I've actually noticed that a lot of the international athletes (for gymnastics) are like this.....it's either one extreme or the other -- either looking totally ticked off or like they will burst into tears at any moment. They have some amazing talent....but come on girls, try to smile a little bit OK? And some of the girls on other teams do not look like they are old enough to be able to compete.....the one gal, I forget what team she was on but according to the announcer, the gal was suppose to be 18 or 19 yet she looked like she wasn't any older than 10 or 11!

Kudos to all of the athletes.....I can imagine the hard work and dedication it takes to be at the level they are at. Not to mention the discipline and sacrifices they must make --  I couldn't do it, especially when it came to watching my diet....nope no way. And a huge "BRAVO" to all who won medals -- regardless of what country they are from -- be proud of yourselves for a job well done. You worked hard & you have earned those medals, so enjoy the moment. OK, time for me to get back to watching the track & field event.....dang, I could never run that fast....never! Not even if some psycho killer clown was chasing me and there was a vat of wine at the finish line.....nope, I just couldn't do it. I'd probably collapse from exhaustion a few feet from the starting line and just pray that the psycho clown killer either tripped over me and got hurt, or was also exhausted and decided that I wasn't worth the effort. Oh that reminds me, did you all see the joke/photo floating around the web of the ladies from the show "Absolutely Fabulous" running down the track.....I love that show, and that picture cracked me up. The caption read "hurry darling, there's booze at the finish line." OK, I thought it was funny....

Can you tell that I'm a bit sleep deprived? Yep, due to the full moon and obviously another growth spurt Taz hasn't been sleeping worth crap the last few nights....which means I haven't been sleeping worth crap either. When the kids are sick or wake up during the night for whatever reason (or won't go to sleep for whatever reason)....then I'm awake. When I'm this sleep deprived I begin to get a little goofy and tend to ramble without making a lot of sense....of course tonight the kids all went to sleep at a reasonable time, yet instead of going to sleep myself I'm sitting here updating the blog and watching the Olympics. What's up with that?!?

OK, I had to add just a few more comments to this post.....this morning I decided to watch more of the Olympics while sipping my morning coffee. Yes I'm still sleep deprived, however I feel a little more human now that I've had some coffee in my system. I was a bit shocked however by what I saw on TV....apparently there is now a 'sport' for synchronized dance? Seriously?!?! I watched the girls from Russia, then the team from Italy....both dance teams were doing various gymnastics while dancing and tossing around what looked like little red dodge balls....seriously, in this country those balls would be considered a mini beach ball or dodge ball. As I sat watching in total disbelief, I couldn't help but think:  "Seriously, synchronized dodge ball dancing is now considered to be an Olympic sport?!?! Are you freakin' kidding me?!?!" I'm sorry but that seems just so bizarre to me. It's odd enough to watch athletes dance around twirling ribbons attached to sticks and try to grasp the concept that it's considered to be a "sport"....but this....this is now a sport?!?! Seriously?!?! What next, synchronized pole dancing or actual  team dodge ball? Sigh....I think I need more coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment